Thursday, September 2, 2010

Fashion time travel

Sorry for the long absence, been having crisis of time management and technical difficulties. Laptop is back now and hopefully some semblance of posting will resume.

A while ago (meaning last year!) I went on a trip to Auckland and visited the museum, as is the proper touristy thing to do. I particularly enjoyed their fashion throughout the ages exhibit, and took some photos (horrible inside museum quality photos, photographer I am not) with the purpose of sharing them on the blog but never got round to it. However, no time like the present.

I can't really remember what era each of the picture comes from - silly me, forgot to take notes or some from of reminder, I just thought they were pretty...


The dresses from the earlier periods were all displayed on what looked to be relatively short mannequins, I'm guessing the people were shorter then? Look at that tiny waist - this is the short of dress that I would have liked to go to the ball in... Oh the drama!


1920s! Look at the beading on the number I know something like this would do be no favours but the idea of shimmering away in this would make me feel divine.



The devil is in the details - the draping, the collar, the cuffs. If I could get away with running around in this getup on a regular basis I probably would.


This one was in another exhibit, but I through it in because I thought it was adorable....

I love pouring over fashion exhibits in museums. In 100 years time I wonder how our era will be represented? I wonder if in 100 years time what those little glass boxes that the decades of our centuries will be condensed into will look like?

3 comments:

Bucca said...

looks like it would have been very interesting. The first dress looks very 1780's!

Helga! said...

Such beautiful things!I love to dribble over the costumes at the Canterbury Museum.I was once lucky enought o go to the Victoria & Albert Museum in London,and they have the most amazing costumes I've ever seen!
Hope you've gotten throught the quake,ok,love.Very scary business.
Bless!

Corrine/Frock And Roll said...

All of these pieces are stunning but that second beaded number is just divine!