Thursday, August 27, 2009

All about me

[EDIT Again I removed the photo but the sentiment is still the same, the photo is still with me and I still feel the same way about it. I also wanted to keep this here to share the way I felt, hope that makes sense to you guys.]

In case your wondering why there is a huge photo of me and the top of this post maybe I should explain. I am not really a fan of taking photos of my face, and I never smile with my teeth (I had crookedness corrected but still never got comfortable with it). So I don't with portrait shots and usually hate how they turn out.
The story behind this photo is I got up one morning, and had a look at my hair and decided to take a quick snap because this is a style a want to try and recreate (messy bed hair). Having just woken and being slightly sleepy I was really relaxed and for once I took a portrait shot I really liked. I found it strange - this is me, no make up, head messed up from bed, not trying at all, just natural, not stressed, the real me. I can look at this shot and say this is a beautiful woman, and I don't say that out of vanity, it comes from a place of letting go of my insecurities - and being able to share it with you guys. I don't think I'll ever quite capture a moment quite like this again.

Have you had a similar moment?

This is a start of my story in part of why I blog about style and fashion, which I hope to share a bit more about later on.

I also got tagged by Chickie Little to do a meme. So this post is a bit indulgent as it is all about me and I didn't want to do two posts all about me in a row!

  • What is your current obsession?
    Trying to find a coloured leather jacket, a lot of my obsessions are fashion based, because otherwise it would have to school work, and that just gets too depressing. Probably about 95% of my time is devoted to my studies, and I don't get a lot of down time, so shopping helps me de-stress.
  • What is your horoscope and do you relate?
    Capricorn. I like the idea of Chinese horoscopes better, I am a Fire Tiger, Rawr!
  • What are you wearing today?
    Black dress, Purple striped top, purple and black knee highs, purple shoes(with purple laces they are awesome and new!), also a grey cardy. I am so matchy matchy again!
  • What is the last thing you bought?
    The purple shoes, and the same pair in blue...
  • What do you think about the person who tagged you?
    She is adorable, and talented (have you seen her baking and comic strip?). I hope to get to know her better as well :)
  • What’s for dinner?
    Toastie pies. Some people will have no idea what they are, well they are like grilled sandwiches, but with a special appliance the bread is sealed such so you can put more fillings in then like canned spaghetti - this is a very kiwi and Australian thing I think.
  • What’s your favourite decade, fashion wise?
    I am going to be a cheater with this question. I like this decade, because you can combine all the fashion from previous decades an make what you will of style. I think people take a lot more chances now too. Also while most of the fashion is repeating the new ways of combining it always surprise me. I will always have a soft spot for the 80s though because I love graphic prints and bold colours (but detest shoulder pads, my shoulders are broad enough already thank you)
  • What are your must haves for summer?
    Beach trips, cut out swimsuit, blueberries!, crochet vest, more rompers, vests over dresses.
  • What would you love to be able to afford?
    My own car, so I could learn to drive properly, also my own house
  • What is your favourite piece of clothing from your wardrobe?
    Way to many to chose from, so I'll put a couple - cream lace mini dress, new vintage cream and blue dress with low v back, floral black romper.
  • What is your dream job?
    I always wanted to be an actress - fame and fortune, plus was heavily into drama in my younger years
  • What is your favourite magazine?
    um....nothing really, used to read Cosmo, NZ is pretty bad for mags! I think reading blogs has taken over my magazine reading time - much more interesting.
  • Describe your personal style?
    What ever strikes my fancy, constantly evolving. I like to mix and match, and I have a habit for colour co-ordination. I like vintage style but also like ultra modern touches. I think I'm really still finding it.
  • Which Beatle is your favourite?
    Um...I'll go John.
  • What are you proud of?
    I'm proud of being self aware, of the friendships I've made, and being person who is growing.

This has been doing the rounds, so I'm not tagging anyone in particular but inviting anyone who hasn't done it yet to do it if it strike your fancy.

14 comments:

Bambola said...

<3!!

That photo of you IS gorgeous!! I'm glad you're able to say that you are a beautiful woman. It's hard for us to do these days.

I've had my own moment of this, it's a major win & will affect everything, in a really REALLY good way.

Quixsa said...

You are an absolute gorgeous lady. You are a Beautiful Beauty for sure.
More than that I found your explanation of the photo so inspiring and sincere. It really affected me and I had to thank you for that. I've been thinking about it ever since I initially read your post.

I would also take blogs over magazines any day.

Chickie Little said...

You are such an exotic lady!

And thanks for those nice comments about me :) I haven't done any comics for a while because of the pregnancy - too tired and now the carpal tunnel syndrome :[

Hehe, toastie pies. I call them jaffles. Bacon and egg with tomato sauce is a great combination (although I get paranoid and have to fry the bacon first just in case).

Piglet said...

Gosh I wish my hair looked like that first thing in the morning!
And spaghetti toasties are the best!

Nadine said...

I think you look lovely in the picture. Your hair color is amazing.

Bug said...

You are so gorgeous, I love the photo. I think everybody struggles with body images. Society is always telling us how to look, its easy to get down. Good job breaking away from society's standards and realizing you are beautiful, because you are!!

yiqin; said...

OMG I must get red hair soon. You look stunning!

Spandexpony said...

Lovely photo, really! I'm definitely reading fashion mags less due to blogs. I feel like whatever's in them, I've already seen!

Corrine/Frock And Roll said...

What a truly gorgeous photo.. you have every right to feel like a beautiful woman, because you ARE a beautiful woman!

WendyB said...

Great hair color!

ana b. said...

I love the sentiments in this post, Charlie! I think the most amazing thing is to realise you've made it past those awkward, body-conscious years and have made peace with yourself and the way you look. A fantastic message to send out!

Annie Spandex said...

A natural beauty!

Eyeliah said...

this pic is so so adorable, you are gorgeous!

Katie said...

But you ARE very beautiful xxx